Deputy Prime Minister of SVG tells women - Dress properly. Don’t tempt men
Deputy PM and Education Minister of St. Vincent and the Grenadines makes incredibly outrageous and dangerous statements which essentially blame women and the way they dress for the violence perpetrated against them by men. This is the reason why violence against women is so rampant throughout the Caribbean: because we have a culture which tacitly excuses and tries to explain away the murders, rapes and beatings as something that women contribute to by the things they do, the clothes they wear, the places they go. As long as people feel they are justified and have ‘cause’ to ‘put women in their place’ this violence will continue.
“I want to ask our young women, in particular to dress themselves properly. I know that sometimes, their mode of dress is not good at all and it is important that they dress themselves and do not give temptation to our men.”
SVG: Deputy PM tells women to dress properly and not tempt men. She says that women’s breasts are intended to feed children and comfort their husbands. This hetero/sexist drivel was offered in response to the high level of violence against women and girls and femicides in St. Vincent and the Grenadines. What do you think of the Deputy PM’s remarks?
- cna-certification-a reblogged this from womenspeak
- devil-artz reblogged this from womenspeak
- lanomrah reblogged this from redforgender
- splat04 reblogged this from gesiye and added:
- redforgender likes this
- gesiye reblogged this from womenspeak and added:
- womenspeak reblogged this from redforgender and added:
- soulsistrin said: I’m disgusted that a woman would say something like that. I feel betrayed.
- soulsistrin likes this
- redforgender posted this